Short and Sweet: a six-week writing class focusing on short prose—fiction and creative nonfiction.
Dates: Tuesday evenings, from March 14th to April 18th, 2023
Where: Anywhere you are—it’s on Zoom!
Time: 6:30 – 8:30 pm, Pacific time (I’m in Victoria BC)
Cost: $200 ($191.07 + $8.93 GST)
This class will be a supportive space for creating, to jump into Spring in a fun and focused way. It will be generative, meant to get you writing, whether you’re just beginning to write or are returning to the page.
We’ll spend the first part of each class warming up with writing exercises, then look at examples of short fiction and personal essays and chat about what makes them shine. Then, we’ll focus on creating stories of our own. Students will have the opportunity to share their work, both via in-class readings as well as with me via email, for feedback and support.
Beginners are always welcome! To learn more, ask questions, and / or register, please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If finances are a barrier, please email to discuss sliding scale options.
2021: The Creative Six-Pack, online.
Sun., May 24th, 2020: The Instant Short Story. NOW ONLINE!!!
One day Pop-up writing class, February 8th, 2020, View Royal, BC. https://www.facebook.com/events/548351059051268/
One day Pop-up writing class, September 28th, 2019, View Royal, BC:
October 17th, Argo Bookshop in Montreal QC, 7 pm.
October 19th, writing workshop, Perth ON. SOLD OUT, but book selling and signing to follow at 1:45 pm at the Perth library.
October 20th, Novel Idea, Kingston ON, 5 pm.
October 2nd, VFA, Victoria BC
BOOK LAUNCH! Tuesday, June 4th, 2019. 7 pm, Munro’s Books, Victoria BC.
Reading and Q & A: Tuesday, June 18th, 7 pm. Bolen Books, Victoria BC.
Vancouver Launch: Sunday June 16th, 1:30-3:30 pm. Joy Kogawa House.
Emceed the Victoria Butler Book Prize shortlist panel discussion and reading at the GVPL, as part of the VFA. Tuesday, September 25th, 2018.
Friday, August 10th, 2 pm. Perth & District Union Library, a reading and book signing.
Saturday July 21, 2018. A Gathering of Poets, Vancouver Public Library.
Friday March 16th, 2018, Emceeing Words on Ice literary reading at WordsThaw Writers Festival.
Thursday Feb. 2nd, Groundhog Day–reading at the Copper Owl, in Victoria, for Truth and Shadows: a CNF reading.
Sunday, Feb. 5th: Love, Poetry and Chocolate at the GVPL. Info here!
Tuesday, February 28th: Book Launch! Munro’s Books. Doors at 7, reading at 7:30. Music and cupcakes and signing, too!
Saturday March 4th: Fat Oyster Reading Series and workshop in Fanny Bay, BC.
Friday, March 24th, feature reader at Planet Earth Poetry, Hillside Coffee and Tea.
Wednesday, April 19th: feature reader at The Rabbit Hole reading series at The Copper Owl, Victoria.
Saturday, April 22nd, all-day workshop @ Royal Roads U, Colwood
April 29th, blue-pencilling and reading at the FBCW, Nanaimo
September 27, 2017: “Speaking The Unspeakable” panel discussion and reading at Victoria Festival of Authors.
Host of a reading and panel discussion of 2016 Victoria Butler Book Prize shortlisted writers, on Wed. Sept. 21st, for the Victoria Festival of Authors.
Recent readings, Spring 2016:
Wednesday, March 9th, Salt Spring Island Library, 7 pm. With Kathleen Winter and Kathy Page.
Wednesday, March 16th, Warren Review’s Event Series “The Rabbit Hole,” at The Copper Owl, Victoria BC
Past Readings / Appearances:
- Pop-up writing class: May 29th, Oak Bay. Here’s the info.
- MISSA: I facilitated a 2-day workshop in beautiful Metchosin, July 2 & 3. Throwing Your Voice.
- Thursday, October 22nd, 2015: Hillside Coffee and Tea, Victoria BC, with Yvonne Blomer and Bonnie Reilly Schmidt. 7:30 pm.
- June 5th, 2015. Elevate The Arts, Courtenay, BC , reading with four other writers at the Art Gallery, 7 pm.
- June 7th, 2015. One Day Writing Workshop, Cumberland, BC. For more info: the Facebook Event.
- June 15th, 2015. Fairfield Market. Elements Reading Series. 7 pm.
- May 16th, 2015: reading from “This Place a Stranger,” an anthology of tales about women travelling alone. Pender Island, BC, Talisman Books.
- May 2nd, 2015: Backbeat Books, Perth ON. Book launch and reading, 1 – 5 pm. Reading at 4 p.m.
- May 5th, 2015: Stella Luna Gelato, Ottawa, ON. Book launch and reading. 7 p.m.
- May 6th, 2015: The Pivot Reading Series in Toronto, ON. 8 p.m.
- May 8th, 2015: Epic Books, Hamilton, ON. 7 p.m
- April 14th, 2015: Munro’s Books, Victoria. Read Local BC event–“On The Road.”
- March 21st, 2015: Wordsthaw, Brief Encounters, University of Victoria.
- Feb. 20th, 2015: Planet Earth Poetry, in Victoria.
- Feb. 25th, 2015: Incite Reading Series, a Vancouver Writers Festival series, Vancouver Public Library.
- January 20, 2015: Strangers on a Train, a Langara College event in Vancouver, BC.
- January 21st, 2015: yoUnlimited: When Women Write. Victoria, BC.
- Real Vancouver Writers Series, November 21st, 2014. I was very excited to go off-island to take part in this event. So. Much. Fun.
- I emceed the Victoria launch of I Found it at the Movies in September, an anthology of poems about the cinema (Guernica Editions). 1275 Oscar Street, Victoria BC. Sponsored by The Malahat Review and The Victoria Writers Festival.
- The launch of THE PULL OF THE MOON! Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at Munro’s Books, 1108 Government Street, Victoria BC. Everyone welcome. Cupcakes, sparkly drinks and pre-launch live music included.
- Tuesday, October 7th, At the Mic, Russell Books.
- And, on Saturday, November 8th, I took part in a panel discussion and reading at the Victoria Writers Festival, called The Pull of the Short Story. How exciting to be reading and talking with Bill Gaston, Doretta Lau, D.D. Miller and John Gould!