I was born and raised in the village of Lanark, ON, in the Ottawa Valley, and currently live in Victoria, BC with my husband. I wear a few hats: writer, massage therapist, and teacher. My stories, poems and essays have been accepted for publication in numerous journals, including The Danforth Review, Little Fiction, The New Quarterly, The Malahat Review, Event, The Fiddlehead, The Dalhousie Review, PRISM International, Qwerty, Geist, Vallum, existere, The Rusty Toque, Boulevard, Canadian Living, and in the anthologies Coming Attractions 07 and Women Behaving Badly.
My collection of stories, The Jealousy Bone, was released in February, 2008, by Emdash Publishing. My second collection of short fiction, The Pull of the Moon, published by Brindle & Glass in the fall of 2014, is available at bookstores across North America, as well as online via my publisher, Amazon, Chapters, and so on. My first book of poetry, The Rules of the Kingdom, was released with MQUP as of January 31, 2017 and is also available in bookstores across Canada and online, as well as from my publisher. My story, “The Expansion,” won the Rusty Toque chapbook competition in 2017 and is now available in print via The Rusty Toque. My third collection of stories, Meteorites, is forthcoming with Touchwood / B&G in June 2019.
- 2017 The Rules of the Kingdom, finalist for both the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize and the Gerald Lampert Memorial Award.
- 2016 My essay “It Not Only Rises, it Shines,” won the Edna Staebler Personal Essay contest.
- 2016 My story, “The Expansion,” won the Rusty Toque Chapbook competition.
- 2015 The Pull of the Moon won a Bronze Ippy Award and the Victoria Book Prize.
- 2014 The story “Damage,” published in Little Fiction, and in The Pull of the Moon, was nominated for a Pushcart Prize.
- 2014 The Pull of the Moon was named as one of The Globe and Mail’s Top 100 Books of 2014.
- Stories from The Pull of the Moon used in Camosun College Writing course curriculum. The Jealousy Bone has been used as part of Carleton University English course curriculum
- 2008 Shortlisted for The Rona Murray Award, CACGV.
- 2006 Writers’ Union Postcard Story competition, finalist.
- 2005 Shortlisted for CBC Literary Competition, Short Fiction category. (“Feeding on Demand,” since published in my first book, The Jealousy Bone)
- 2005 Federation of BC Writers Literary Writes Competition (Fiction), third prize.
- 2004 Writer’s Union Short fiction competition, finalist.
- 2004 Rona Murray Competition, second place, short fiction, CACGV.
- Monday Magazine’s 2003 Fiction contest, first place.